Email marketing newsletters are still an effective marketing tool. But how do you keep your audience coming back for more?
You’d think the process would be easier over time, but it’s actually more challenging. Each new article seems to overlap content written in the past.
Below is a short list of easy wins for e-newsletter creators based on tricks and tips we’ve tested over time:
1. Educate your readers
Many people find your business because they have a need or problem. Educating your readers empowers them and helps them succeed. Some simple ways to do this include:
- Solve a problem for them.
- Offer free advice on how to use your product or service
- Identify industry trends that your reader should know.
- Create a downloadable whitepaper or checklist in your newsletter of useful information
- Offer an infographic that explains complex information
- Interview a knowledgeable expert in your industry
- Make a list of “must-follow” social media sources
- Invite readers to a webinar that solves common problems or challenges
2. Keep it Real.
People like to know what’s going on and to hear good news. Company events, take-aways and recaps are all ways to capture their attention.
- Talk about how your company is helping the community
- Highlight a testimonial or success story
- Talk about new services to help people understand the benefits and challenges
- Let reader know about recent business partnerships and how they will benefit
- Publish useful statistics about your company. Use simple charts and simple infographics to help readers understand the data.
- Share positive, current media coverage about your company. People like to associate with a winning team.
Conversations with your audience create content and help people relate to your business. It makes interesting reading and builds relationships. Here are some ways to help them interact:
- Interview people and create positive testimonials
- Use polls and surveys and share the results with readers
- Run a monthly photo contest and publish a gallery on your company website
- Run a contest on social media. Giveaways, video and social challenges build interest around you brand.
- Invite readers to review your products or services online.
- Send a happy birthday or anniversary message to personalize an email newsletter
- Build online quizzes with applications like Typeform or Survey Monkey.
4. Use Technology to Focus Your Writing
When you’re stuck trying to find keywords or topics to write about, the internet can help. There are many websites that reveal current web trends. You can even get a sense of what kinds of questions people are asking. Sites like these can help focus your efforts for creating newsletter content.
Brian Dean’s “Discover Exploding Topics“ is a website that charts predictive web trends. It can help you discover hot topics getting ready to break out.
Google Trends can provide some insight into internet searches. Creating newsletter content to answer trending topics can capture your audience’s attention. It can also impact your website traffic and SEO.
Answer the Public is a site that charts questions people are asking about a specific keyword. This is useful in creating content that answers questions relevant to your customers.
Like Exploding Topics, Glimpse helps discover trends before they take off. Glimpse tracks every topic across the internet to identify growing trends.
5. Learn a New Trick
Sometimes a quick boost will give your newsletter the momentum it needs. Here are some alternative ideas that you can add to your content routine to spice things up:
- Embed videos to help readers find your YouTube Channel
- Develop a tutorials series to help educate your audience
- Tie your content into an upcoming holiday
- Talk about related products or services that complement yours.
- Rework an old newsletter with updated and improved content
- Create a mystery link or online contest to intrigue customers
- Highlight a special social media event to cross market services or products.
Keeping your email marketing fresh is tough, but inspiration is out there. Practice and leveraging internet tools can up your content game. Over time you’ll delight your audience and win new readership.
And if you get stuck, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Is your credit union trustworthy? - February 23, 2021
- 5 Ways to Make Your Website Personalization less Creepy - January 12, 2021
- Give a gift card. Save the world. - December 15, 2020