When TikTok got started, it was generally a kid’s platform. It was the home of lip-syncing, dancing, and general antics. As a result, most of its user base was in the under 20 demographic.
Fast forward to 2022, and things have changed.
Pew Research Center’s survey of adults from 2012-to 2021 showed that 40% of the people who use TikTok are over 30 years old. Say whaaaat?
Credit unions looking for a new marketing channel to tap have a new option with exciting potential. In the past, marketers have looked at TikTok as a way to reach the youngest demographic. Now that the over 30s have become active users, marketers can broaden their connections.
Here are some exciting facts on TikTok that might change your marketing efforts.
- There are over 1 billion active users, according to Digital Report. In January of 2022, TikTok reached 1 billion active users. Today, TikTok is now only behind Facebook and Instagram in the social media platform race.
- If you’re targeting adults in the U.S., 84.5 million TikTok users come from the United States alone. In fact, 36% of all Americans over 12 are using it.
- Selling a product or service? Older age groups have some of the highest-converting audiences on TikTok.
- Parents dig the platform, and they have different interests. In a blog post. Parenting hashtags are huge: #family, #familytime, and #parenting are getting billions of views.
- Looking to reach an older female demographic? In March 2021, female users accounted for 61% of TikTok’s active user accounts in the United States.
- You can market just about anything on TikTok. Sure, you can sell stuff that appeals to kids. But statistics show that the parent audiences on TikTok often talk about things like home appliances, snacks, business, cars, and groceries.
- While TikToks were initially limited in length, now they can be as short as 15 seconds, or as long as 3 minutes.
It’s a no-brainer.
TikTok is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms online today. It has one of the highest engagement rates, so it’s a no-brainer when it comes to user interaction.
The nature of the app allows brands to create fun content with relatively low investment. Everything you need to make a decent TikTok video can be found on the app, using your smartphone’s camera and microphone. There’s other software you can use to edit and refine your videos, but marketers should be cautious of making their videos too polished. In fact, many brands have embraced the more authentic TikTok aesthetic to great success.
Our advice? Check it out and try it.
Social media platforms are made to be used, so the best course of action might be to just download TikTok and start using it authentically. See what your members and competitors are already doing on the app, and work on creating content that brings something new to the community.
There are lots of silly videos on TikTok, but there’s a lot of educational content as well. You can find videos on almost any subject, from gardening to carpentry. Some of our favorite content creators make videos where they just explain something, or show you how to do it. Why couldn’t credit unions do the same sort of thing? It’d be a pretty easy way to boost your financial education efforts.
Need some ideas for how to get started on TikTok? Don’t hesitate to ask for help.
- Your Granny’s on TikTok. Oh my! - May 17, 2022
- Five marketing automations credit unions should try - February 21, 2022
- Giving thanks and sharing some Monstrously Munchy Recipes - November 22, 2021