With just a few weeks left in 2018, it’s time to relax, get ready to enjoy the holiday, munch cookies, and arrive in 2019 rested and ready to roll up your sleeves again in January.
Nah, just kidding.
Sure, the holidays are coming and there are cookies to be eaten, but here are a few relatively painless ways you can make better use of this time to hit the ground running in 2019.
Start your first quarter projects early
If you know you have a big project starting soon, what the heck are you waiting for? Sign on the dotted line and get it rolling ASAP and PDQ. You’ll be first in line and weeks ahead.
I can’t speak for other vendors, but we’re always happy to be flexible with schedules and invoicing to help our CU clients get a jump on the first quarter and make January a little less hectic.
Take a first step today
There’s no reason to wait for a New Year’s resolution. Take at least one tangible step toward one of your goals today. Or better yet, right now.
- Review your digital and content marketing plan – You just can’t wing it these days. Make sure you have a realistic strategy and a plan for producing and posting useful content on your website, digital marketing, and social media – and a plan for making the best use of the data.
- Get to know your members a little better. Whether it’s an online focus group, a survey, spending some time in the branches, what can you do to find out more about your members. What are they thinking about? What are they worried about?
- Put some visual content on your website. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what’s a video worth? Credit union services are a little abstract, so good visual or video content is tough. Challenge yourself to use more high-quality visual and video content on your website, in social media, and in your digital marketing. (Need some videos? Check out our free videos on the “Really Real Credit Union Difference“)
- Get Googly – Do a deep dive into your website’s Google Analytics. But be careful — Google doesn’t quite get credit unions. What are the behaviors and patterns you see?Are your blog posts attracting Search traffic? Does it look like members are getting what they need from your website? Is it an effective expression of your brand and your goals?
- Find those brand/behavior mismatches – Pull up your NCUA FPR and Call Report. Do your CU’s numbers match your brand? What do you need to work on?
Nurture your network
The holidays are all about family time, of course, but it’s also important to pay attention to your professional relationships – colleagues, vendors, employees, mentors, and management.
Check in, catch up, get to know each other a little better, and share. Talk about where you’ve been and where you want to go. Find out what their goals are and share your goals. Share resources and contacts, bounce a few ideas off each other.
The social aspect is fun (and there even might be cookies), but there’s a real purpose to touching base; the more connected you are to the people in your professional world, the more effective everyone becomes.
To have a monster year in 2019, the best time to get started is right now!
Latest posts by Brian Wringer (see all)
- CU Website Best Practices: Be Nice to Bookmarkers - April 30, 2019
- Your members want more shortcuts - April 24, 2019
- Digital Marketing Best Practices: Landing page or Microsite? - April 2, 2019