Today is TWOsday, February 22nd 2022 (2-22-22) and that’s the most 2s we’ve had in a date since February 22nd, 1922. There’s only a handful of these dates every century, and two of them happened this month (2-2-22)!
We wanted to take a moment to recognize today’s date, because chances are that none of us will be around for 2-2-2222. Besides, Tuesdays aren’t always so momentous.
So, to celebrate the occasion, here is a list of fun facts related to today’s special number:
- The number 2 is the only even prime number.
- The square root of 2 was the first known irrational number.
- 2+2 gives you the same result as 2×2 and 22.
- Twin births occur about 1 in every 250 pregnancies. Since the UN says there’s about 385,000 babies born each day and 15,000 births per hour, that’s 60 sets of twins per hour!
- Nigeria is the country with the most twins, and China has the least.
- 40% of twins invent their own language.
- Polar bears most commonly birth twins. They rarely birth singletons or triplets.
- Two is the base of the binary system, which is used extensively in computing.
- 2 is the atomic number of Helium, and 22 is the atomic number of Titanium.
- The second asteroid ever discovered was called 2 Pallas.
- Some star systems have a binary star, meaning there’s two stars orbiting around a center of mass.
- The planet Mars has two moons, Phobos and Deimos.
- Only two U.S. states have three sets of double letters: Tennessee and Mississippi.
- Only two words in English have a double “v,” which are “revving” and “revved.”
- In the state of Delaware, the single digit license plate “2” is reserved for the Lieutenant Governor.
- In a group of 23 people, there is about a 1 in 2 (50%) chance that two will share a birthday. If the group grows to 70 people, there’s a 99.9% chance!
- A “Catch-22” is a paradoxical situation in which a person cannot escape because of contradictory rules or limitations. It is also a funny book by Joseph Heller, in which he presents examples like, “How can I get any experience until I get a job that gives me experience?”
- A million dollars in $100 bills would weigh approximately 22 lbs (9.979kg).
- In Jay-Z’s song “22 Two’s”, he rhymes the words: too, to, and two, 22 times in the first verse.
Do you have more trivia about the number 2? Be sure to leave a comment to tell us all about it! And if you learned something new, share this article with a friend!
- A second look at CU science fiction - May 3, 2022
- Hey CUs, young people need your help - March 29, 2022
- Student loans are crucial for making credit unions relevant to young people - March 1, 2022